April 6, 2012

Mission Possible...by Jada


March was a very eventful month at our house. The first week and a half was spent shopping and getting ready for the trip of a lifetime. Not with my husband, Bryan…But, with my best friend growing up and through college, Cami.

We traveled, just the two of us, to gorgeous San Juan, Puerto Rico, where the weather is literally a perfect 72 to 82 degrees. And that is the high and the low! We ate breakfast on the deck of our sweet no-frills hotel, where the waves of the blue-green ocean lapped up right under our feet. 

The people of Puerto Rico were beautiful and everyone we met seemed to bend over backwards to accommodate our stay. I felt as if we were on a tour of people…they were that great!

I was nervous traveling away from home. It was my first time away from Bryan and my kids, who he took very great care of. They probably needed a break from me, as much as I from them. 

Don’t get me wrong, we all love each other very much…BUT, I knew that my break away would make me a better wife, a better mother, a better person and hopefully, my family would benefit the same.

Little did I know how much I would need my 6-day retreat. I came home missing Bryan and my kids like crazy. I was ready for a vacation from my vacation and ready to be mom and wife again. Not only did I need to catch up on some much needed sleep, but I just wanted to snuggle my kids. The first few days home, I was glad my 21-month old baby girl wanted to snuggle me too.

Baby girl had a low-grade fever and didn’t feel well at all. I figured she must be teething and missing her mama. I held her and kissed her warm little cheeks held her some more for two days. By the third day home, the fever broke, but so did something else… Baby was soaking through her diapers, refused to eat hardly anything, but couldn’t get enough to drink. She was so frustrated, trying to tell us something that I couldn’t understand. No one could. 

This went on for two more days before Bryan and I woke up in the middle of the night to Baby Girl’s cry. Again, she woke up soaking wet and inconsolable. It dawned on us at the same time, but Bryan spoke it. “I wonder if we should check her blood.” 

Our family has a strong genetic disposition for Diabetes, both Type 1 and Type 2. We knew that was probably the case with our little one, but refused to believe it until later in the day when we finally did check her blood sugar. The monitor read, HIGH…twice.

We rushed to the ER. No one needed to tell us that our suspicions were right on, but it was confirmed. We spent the rest of the weekend in the pediatric wing of the hospital.

According to most doctors, Type 1 diabetes is incurable, a life-sentence of blood monitoring, finger pokes, and insulin injections. Our Endocrinologist not so gently informed us that our five children are at a risk so great to get either Type 1 or Type 2 Diabetes, that there is no escape.  “It is not a matter of IF they will get Diabetes, but a matter of WHEN. You’re just going to have to accept that. We live and eat in America. By the year 2020, 2/3 of all Americans will be diabetic.”

What if someone told you that you didn’t have a chance, there was no hope for you and your medical diagnosis is for life? What would you do?

As I see it, there are three things we can do:
     1–Roll over and wait for death to come knocking.
     2–Accept fate and live life, waiting for a cure.
     3–Turn to a Higher Power for inspiration. Seek for healing.

Many times we dismiss the fact that we can be healed when given the opportunity. Yes, you read that right…OPPORTUNITY!

Just in my family, my mom, dad, husband, myself, and now my baby have all been given life sentences by our doctors. And because of our medical history, each of my other four children have been included.

I don’t buy it!  We live in a world full of negativity, hopelessness, and despair. We are told about all the things we CANNOT do and placed inside an invisible box to hold us back. 

I know that have a loving Father in Heaven who loves us and wants us to have joy.  He sent His son, Jesus Christ, who suffered all that we might live again.  All things are possible through Him…even healing the incurable.

Surround yourself with people who love you. Build a team of professionals, healers, family and friends who will support you. Then, have the faith to make your mission impossible possible.

Answers are out there. Miracles are everywhere; we just have to open our eyes to see them. “Ask and it shall be given unto you; seek and ye shall find; knock and it shall be opened unto you.”


No comments:

Post a Comment